During the summer months it can get pretty hot in Florida. Combine that with the summer crowds in Disney World and it can make for an uncomfortable day. There are ways to cool off while in the parks though.
To get out of the heat you can always hop on an indoor ride, but lines in the summer months can be long. So try to find a ride that has a quick moving line or that has a queue line that is inside. Some queue lines have quite a bit of the line outside and while they have fans to cool off guests, it’s not the same as being in the air-conditioning.
A couple of rides that have quick moving lines are the PeopleMover in Magic Kingdom and Spaceship Earth in Epcot. The PeopleMover is not an indoor ride, but you can get a nice breeze as you sit and enjoy the sites.
This is a great way to beat the heat in the parks. Shows will have air conditioning and you get to sit for a while to cool off. There are plenty of shows to choose from in each park. Here are some of my favorites:
- Magic Kingdom
- The Hall of Presidents– Enjoy some history, told by awesome audio-animatronics, in an air conditioned building. This show is in Liberty Square.
- Monsters Inc., Laugh Floor – A fun comedy club run by the monsters of Monstropolis. Be warned, there is audience participation. This is in Tomorrowland.
- Carousel of Progress– Cool off indoors while watching this classic audio-animatronic show in Tomorrowland.
- Mickey’s PhilharMagic– This is a fun 3D show, in Fantasyland, that will entertain you while you cool off.
- Turtle Talk with Crush– This is a fun and interactive show to stop and see. While the interactive part is really only for the kids, it’s still fun to go and watch Crush interact with the kids. The technology is so cool! This show is located in the same building as The Seas with Nemo and Friends.
- Voices of Liberty– This is an amazing show to see. The singers are fantastic! Dressed in attire from the 1800s, they will entertain you with their beautiful voices while singing patriotic songs. The shows last about 15 minutes, but you can hang out afterwards if you need more cooling off time. You can find the Voices of Liberty in American Adventure in the World Showcase.
- Hollywood Studios
- Muppet*Vision 3D– Love the Muppets and I love this show! You get to see all your favorite characters (look up in the balcony to see some grumpy favorites) and you can escape the heat while you watch this funny show. Find this fun show on Street of America, just look for the big fountain with the spinning Miss Piggy.
- Walt Disney: One Man’s Dream– In addition to the 15 minute film about Walt there is a self-guided tour here. The tour has props, models, sketches, and more. Both the film and the tour are pretty interesting. Plus, it gets you out of the heat for a little while.
- Animal Kingdom
- Festival of the Lion King– This might be my favorite show in all of the parks. It is a 30 minute Broadway style show and the entertainers are absolutely amazing. Characters from the Lion King movie and the songs are all part of this show. Even if it’s not a hot day, I would highly recommend making time for this show! You can find it in the new and air conditioned Harambe Theater in the Africa section.
- It’s Tough to be a Bug! – This is a fun 3D show that takes place in the Tree of Life. Join Flik as he introduces you to all sorts of bugs and be ready for a few 4D surprises. Another entertaining show that will give you some time out of the heat.
You can these areas to cool off quick. Just walk under them and let the mist cool you off. There is one in Tomorrowland, a Coke bottle in Hollywood Studios that will spray you, and the Test Track Cool Wash in Epcot has one too, but there should be more they just might not be well marked on the maps. So keep your eyes open or ask a cast member about the misting stations. In Downtown Disney look for Stich over the entrance to the World of Disney store, he will spit water at you.
Downtown Disney also has a splash area where the kids can play.
If it’s a really hot day you can always spend the day at your resort pool or head to one of the water parks that Disney has on property. You can also carry misting fans with you or get one of those cooling towels to wear around your neck.
Bottom line? Don’t let the heat get to you, there are plenty of ways to keep cool during the hot summer months in Disney and have fun!
Thanks for reading!
For help planning your next trip to Disney (for free!), contact Starts With a Wish by Liz!