Hollywood Studios has fewer attractions than Magic Kingdom and Epcot. So, I decided to include some of the shows that are in the “Entertainment” category on Disney’s website. There will be more attractions to choose from once the lands for Toy Story and Star Wars are both done.
Everyone’s list will be different, these are the rides that my family and I enjoy, and I hope the list will serve as a starting point for those that have never been to Hollywood Studios.
Top 10 List for Hollywood Studios
10. Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple – This is such a cute show. The kids learn the ways of the Jedi and have to fend off Stormtroopers and Darth Vader himself! With this new experience there is also a new villain that the kids will face, the Seventh Sister Inquisitor.
Parents can register their children at the Indiana Jones Adventure Outpost, which is located between the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular and the 50’s Prime Time Cafe when the park opens. The experience is open to guests between ages 4 and 12 per show. The kids are asked to show up 30 minutes before the show. You need to register early for this, due to the popularity and limited capacity. It is first come, first served.
9. Citizens of Hollywood – This is an improv group that performs throughout the day and they are really good. They gather an audience quick and include the audience in the show. Keep your eyes open for them, because they show up throughout the day.
The improv group delivers old-style Hollywood comedy from the goofy antics of the Hollywood Public Works, to the glamour of Hollywood (portrayed in a very funny way), to the lasso twirling cowboy Beau Wrangler, the Citizens of Hollywood are something that we are always on the lookout for when we are visiting Hollywood Studios!
8. Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! – This is a great show for anyone who is a fan of the movies or for people just being introduced to Indy. They have a “casting call” before the show and, if they pick you, you get to be an extra in the show! Once Indy enters the fun and entertainment starts. You will get to see some of the exciting parts of the movie, as the action continues from beginning to end!
The stunt actors in this show are so impressive and they are funny too! Even if you are not a fan of the movies or haven’t seen them, I would still recommend this show. Both the adults and the kids loved it.
7. Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show – This is a very exciting stunt show and also very loud. If you have anyone in the group that is a Cars fan, you don’t want to miss this.
This is, as the name says, a stunt show that involves cars, motorcycles, and boats. It is pretty cool watching the stunt drivers drive around all crazy on the stage and they do some pretty impressive things. Kids and adults are equally impressed by this show.
Also included in the show is the one and only Lightning McQueen! If you love cars and stunt shows then you don’t want to miss this. We love seeing this show whenever we are in Hollywood Studios.
6. Fantasmic! – This is a great show filled with characters, imagination, and fireworks. Mickey uses his imagination to bring some of your favorite Disney characters to life, until the evil ones show up and turn everything into a nightmare for poor Mickey.
Of course, Mickey prevails and ends the show with a bang. This is the place to see fireworks if you are in Hollywood Studios. Plus, they now have the “Made With Magic” products that will flash different colors in sync with the show. That’s pretty cool! To make the night extra special you can look into the Fantasmic! Dining Package.
5. Muppet*Vision 3D – It doesn’t matter how old you are, the Muppets never get old. I find them as funny as I did when I was a kid. Plus, it brings you back to your childhood. I love all the details in the waiting area. Next time you are waiting for the theater doors to open, take a look around to see all the fun things that are in the room. While you wait you will also get to see a 12-minute video staring Gonzo and Sam Eagle.
Once you are let into the theater, and have moved as far as you can through your row of seats (don’t stop in the middle unless that is where the line has stopped), you can sit and wait for the fun to start.
When the curtains go up, don’t forget to put your 3D glasses on and watch Kermit as he takes you on a tour of the Muppet Labs. All the Muppets are present to entertain you and be on the lookout for Waldorf and Statler in the theater, who are on hand to give their honest opinion of the show.
4. Toy Story Midway Maina! – I debated putting this ride higher on the list, but kept the more thrilling rides in the top 3 spots.
I love wearing the 3D glasses and playing all the games with the Toy Story characters. It is sort of like Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin, but with 3D glasses. You sit 2 people to a ride vehicle (well, 2 on each side) and you compete to get the highest score.
The queue for this ride is a lot of fun. You are supposed to be the size of a toy, so there are a lot of over-sized things throughout the queue and a very cool talking and moving Mr. Potato Head.
Due to the lack of attractions at Hollywood Studios, this ride is always busy. It doesn’t matter if it is an off peak time, there will be a long wait. This is definitely one of the attractions you want to get a FastPass for ahead of time.
(UPDATE: They are adding another track to this ride. So that should help bring the wait times down)
3, Star Tours: The Adventures Continue – This is a fun ride, even if you are not a Star Wars fan. In the queue line you will be entertained by C-3PO and R2-D2 as you make your way to your space cruiser.
When you get closer to the boarding area, grab your 3D glasses and take a seat when they open the door. This ride has the same idea as Soarin’, because it uses a screen to play the scenery and the room actually moves (the room doesn’t move in Soarin‘, but you are lifted high up).
Since it’s 3D, you have that feeling like you are actually flying through the scenes. Of course during your flight you go off track to escape the Dark forces and that’s when the fun starts! The room really does move, so you feel like you are in a space cruiser. It’s a very fun ride and a definite must-see on each trip to Hollywood Studios.
2. Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Areosmith – With these last two rides I went back and forth between who was going to be in the top spot. Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster landed at number two, but I am sure it is number one for a lot of people.
This is a very fun and thrilling roller coaster. You get to ride in a “super stretch limo” and be rushed to the concert for Areosmith, at 60 miles an hour. During your sprint through LA Areosmith music is playing and it adds to the fun of the ride. Another fun feature of the ride is that it goes upside down! This is one of the more thrilling roller coasters on Disney World property and if you love roller coasters, you don’t want to miss this one!
1. The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror– Here is my number one choice. The reason I picked Tower of Terror as my number one is that it is great from start to finish.
First of all, the queue of this ride is amazing. They really made it look like an abandoned hotel, all the way down to the cup of tea sitting on the table. There are cobwebs all over the place, old fashioned music playing, a hat and cane left on the table, and many other great details that make it seem as though everyone just disappeared.
Then you watch a Twilight Zone video, showing you what happened, and after that you are sent on your way to go to the elevator in the basement. Once you sit down and the ride starts, you will see some great effects.
Also, fair warning, the number of drops is determined by a computer, so there is no way of knowing how many times you will be picked up and dropped. It’s a fun and thrilling ride with one of the best themed queues on property!
That’s my “Top 10” list for Hollywood Studios. Like I said at the beginning, everyone’s list will be different. I hope this is a good starting point for someone who has never been to Hollywood Studios.
What are your favorite attractions at Hollywood Studios? Let us know in the comments!
Don’t forget to check out the lists for Magic Kingdom and Epcot too.
Thanks for reading!
Tower of Terror is definitely my #1