During the summer months it can get pretty hot in Florida. Combine that with the summer crowds in Disney World and it can make for an uncomfortable day. There are ways to cool off while in the parks though.
To get out of the heat you can always hop on an indoor ride, but lines in the summer months can be long. So try to find a ride that has a quick moving line or that has a queue line that is inside. Some queue lines have quite a bit of the line outside and while they have fans to cool off guests, it’s not the same as being in the air-conditioning.
A few rides that have quick moving lines are the PeopleMover in Magic Kingdom, and Living with the Land and Spaceship Earth in Epcot. The PeopleMover is not an indoor ride, but you can get a nice breeze as you sit and enjoy the sites.
This is a great way to beat the heat in the parks. Shows will have air conditioning and you get to sit for a while to cool off. There are plenty of shows to choose from in each park. Here are some of my favorites:
- Magic Kingdom
- The Hall of Presidents– Enjoy some history, told by awesome audio-animatronics, in an air conditioned building. This show is in Liberty Square.
- Monsters Inc., Laugh Floor – A fun comedy club that is run by the monsters of Monstropolis. Be warned, there is audience participation. This is in Tomorrowland.
- Carousel of Progress– Cool off indoors while watching this classic audio-animatronic show in Tomorrowland.
- Mickey’s PhilharMagic– This is a fun 3D show, in Fantasyland, that will entertain you while you cool off.
- Turtle Talk with Crush– This is a fun and interactive show to stop and see. While the interactive part is really only for the kids, it’s still fun to go and watch as Crush interacts with the kids. The technology is so cool! This show is located in the same building as The Seas with Nemo and Friends.
- Voices of Liberty– This is an amazing show to see. The singers are fantastic! Dressed in attire from the 1800s, they will entertain you with their beautiful voices while singing patriotic songs. The shows last about 15 minutes, but you can hang out afterwards if you need more cooling off time. You can find the Voices of Liberty in American Adventure in the World Showcase.
- Hollywood Studios
- Muppet*Vision 3D– Love the Muppets and I love this show! You get to see all your favorite characters (look up in the balcony to see some grumpy favorites) and you can escape the heat while you watch this funny show. Find this fun show on Street of America, just look for the big fountain with the spinning Miss Piggy.
- Walt Disney: One Man’s Dream– In addition to the 15 minute film about Walt there is a self-guided tour here. The tour has props, models, sketches, and more. Both the film and the tour are pretty interesting. Plus, it gets you out of the heat for a little while.
- Animal Kingdom
- Festival of the Lion King– This might be my favorite show in all of the parks. It is a 30 minute Broadway style show and the entertainers are absolutely amazing. Characters from the Lion King movie and the songs are all part of this show. Even if it’s not a hot day, I would highly recommend making time for this show! You can find it in the theater in the Africa section.
- It’s Tough to be a Bug! – This is a fun 3D show that takes place in the Tree of Life. Join Flik as he introduces you to all sorts of bugs and be ready for a few 4D surprises. Another entertaining show that will give you some time out of the heat.
You can these areas to cool off quick. Just walk under them and let the mist cool you off. There is one in Tomorrowland, a Coke bottle in Hollywood Studios that will spray you, and the Test Track Cool Wash in Epcot has one too, but there should be more they just might not be well marked on the maps. So keep your eyes open or ask a cast member about the misting stations. In Disney Springs look for Stitch over the entrance to the World of Disney Store, he will spit water at you.
Epcot has some splash areas in between Future World and the World Showcase.
Disney Springs also has a splash area where the kids can play.
There is no shortage of shops in any of the Disney Parks. So if you need to cool off, you can always hop in one of the shops and take a look around. Plus, you might find a fun souvenir to bring home with you. Some of the shops are pretty big, so you can spend a fair amount of time looking around. The Emporium, in the Magic Kingdom, pretty much runs the length of Main Street U.S.A. and the World of Disney Store, in Disney Springs, has 12 rooms for guests to browse.
There are others that are specialty shops. An example of this would be Club Cool in Epcot. It’s a store with a whole lot of Coke products available for purchase. Not only that, but you can also sample multiple Coke products from around the world. It’s a pretty fun store and you can get some free refreshments, though you might want to stay away from the Beverly.
If it’s a really hot day you can always spend the day at your resort pool or head to one of the water parks that Disney has on property. You can also carry misting fans (available in the parks) or get one of those cooling towels to wear around your neck, and remember to stay hydrated. You can get a cup of water at most quick service locations for free.
Bottom line? Don’t let the heat get to you, there are plenty of ways to keep cool during the hot summer months and have fun!
Thanks for reading!
Contact Dream Makers Travel Agency today to book your trip! FREE concierge level planning is included with every booking.