Disney released a lot of information about Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge today. The most important information is, of course, the opening dates, but there’s more.
The Parks Will be Opening in Phases
The official opening dates for the new land is May 31, 2019 in Disneyland and August 29, 2019 in Disney World. These dates are far sooner than people had been anticipating, which is great, if you are looking forward to the opening. There’s a catch though. Opening day is considered “phase one” and there will only be one ride open at that time, Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run. Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will open later in the year.
From May 31 – June 23, 2019 Disneyland is implementing a system where guests will have reservations to go in and explore the new land. Guests staying at one of the three Disneyland Resort hotels will have a designated reservation for Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge with their reservation. Those not staying at a Disneyland Resort hotel will have to make a reservation (free of charge) on their own. Regular theme park admission is required in order to see the new land.
Disney World will not be using this reservation system. So guests will have to get to the parks very early to be in line to see the new land in Hollywood Studios. Regular theme park admission is required to get into Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge.
Extra Magic Hours
Extra Magic Hours give guests staying on property an opportunity to enter the parks earlier or stay later than non-resort guests. Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will be included in the Extra Magic Hours in Disney World, but it will not be included in Disneyland’s Extra Magic Hours.
Ride Info (Including FastPasses)
Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run
- Height Requirement: 38 inches or taller
- Good For: Kids, Tweens, Teens, and Adults
- Ride Categories: Thrill Ride, Small Drops, Dark, Loud
- Ride Description: Guests will be part of the crew to fly the Millennium Falcon as a pilot, gunner, or engineer. The mission will face danger throughout the trip and guests will have to maneuver their way through it.
- FastPass: A FastPass will not be available.
Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will have a ride height requirement of 40 inches. We will keep checking to see when the information is available (probably when they announce an opening date for the ride).
- Droid Depot – This is where you have a chance to build your own droid!
- Savi’s Workshop – Handbuilt Lightsabers – You can customize your own lightsaber here, which is pretty cool.
- Toydarian Toymaker – Handcrafted toys and collectibles.
- Dok-Ondar’s Den of Antiquities – Mysterious and unique galactic artifacts can be found here.
- Creature Stall- Find a new friend to bring home with you.
- Black Spire Outfitters – Star Wars apparel can be purchased here.
Food and Drink
Disney is anticipating the huge crowds and excitement for these lands, which is why they are opening a little earlier than expected. Because of the crowd anticipation there is a disclaimer on every page on Disney World’s website related to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge that states:
Capacity for Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and its experiences is limited. Access to the park, land and experiences may be restricted or unavailable depending on guest demand and other factors.
This sure to be a crazy opening day on both coasts! We’ll keep you posted as more information is released.
How do you feel about the two phase opening?
Thanks for reading!