The other day I posted the above picture and asked for guesses as to where the decorations are located. This turned out to be a fairly easy picture, because so many people got it right, which is great!
The 50’s Prime Time Cafe is a fun restaurant that is themed after 50’s era style home. The waiting area is designed to look like a family room with a tv, couches, shelves with 50’s kitsch, and other decorations that fit with the time period. The seating area is supposed to be a 50’s kitchen and there is a lot to see in this area. The decorations in the picture hang on a wall next to the table where I sat during my last visit, but they are far from the only decorations. There’s lots of fun old fashioned designed kitchenware and decorations located by every table. I’ve even heard people say that they remember their grandparents having some of the same things in their kitchen, so there’s a nostalgia factor too.
Another fun part of this dining experience is the interaction with Cast Members. All the Cast Members play a family member, so you could have a sister, brother, aunt, uncle, cousin, etc. as your waiter or waitress. They really get into their roles, so if you’re not one for themed restaurants with guest participation then this probably isn’t the place for you. The Cast Members tell you to set the table, eat your vegetables, keep your elbows off the table, no cell phones at the table, and things like that. They’ll even fight with each other in the middle of the kitchen, which is always hysterical. The experience is always enhanced by the Cast Member interaction here.
The menu is themed to the restaurant as well. Menu items are named after family members and are considered good old fashioned comfort food. Guests can also order a drink from Dad’s Liquor Cabinet. The drink names go along with the theme of the restaurant and the descriptions of the drinks keep with the theme too.
Menu Items Include:
- Dad’s Stuffed Pork Chop
- Mom’s Old-fashioned Pot Roast
- Grandma’s Chicken Pot Pie
- Cousin Megan’s Traditional Meatloaf
- Aunt Liz’s Golden Fried Chicken
- Cousin Harold’s Vegetable Lasagna
- 50’s Prime Time Cafe Blue Plate Special
- A Sampling of Mom’s Favorite Recipes
- Dad’s Favorite Chocolate-Peanut Butter Layered Cake
- Mom’s Brownie
Dad’s Liquor Cabinet Includes:
- Grandma’s Picnic Punch – “Grandma concocted a wonderful drink for the family picnic – Vodka, Peach Schnapps, Crème de Cassis, Light Lemonade, and Pineapple Juice”
- Mowie Wowie – “Dad brought this drink back from the Pacific—Parrot Bay Coconut Rum, Melon Liqueur, Peach Schnapps, Orange Juice, and Pineapple Juice”
- Dad’s Electric Lemonade – “Dad whips up an electrifying blue drink with Vodka, Blue Curaçao, Sweet-and-Sour, and Sprite®”
Years ago the dessert menu was brought to the table on a View Master toy and it was a really fun way to see the dessert menu. I haven’t seen this in quite a while; it’s a regular menu that is brought to the table now.
Thanks to everyone who played along this week and congratulations to those that knew where the decorations are located! We’ll play again next Wednesday!
Have you been to the 50’s Prime Time Cafe?
Thanks for reading!